Thursday, September 27, 2007

Cry it out????

I have to start this off by saying... My daughter is a really good baby. She's happy and friendly and pretty easy going about 80 percent of the day. She is usually good in restaurant's, and in public, and has been compliant with our on the go unstructured lifestyle. So I am truly blessed.

However she is the biggest drama queen fake crier you will ever meet!!!
My father who has a lot of children, and has been around a lot of children has said outright he has never seen nor heard anything like it in his life. I will give credit where credit is due. She is a strong willed, persistent, lil girl and god bless her determination to get what she wants. She does not go down with a fight.

She will continue her act until I give in or she passes out. And I bet you can't guess which one happens more often than not? Yep. I am a sucker, and I am afraid she knows this. But seriously the sound of her fake cry is so bad! Seriously imagine this.. You have two super angry and rabid cats in a dark alley fighting, and they make that awful high pitched noise? Well she makes the same LOUD, hissy, screechy, growling sound when she is throwing one of her famous fits. The thing is, this fit is only brought on by her desire to be within eyes view or arms length of me at all times. My disappearing and going to the bathroom, or taking a shower is unacceptable to her. So that's really a tough thing to deal with.

On one hand your flattered.. Your like ahhh how cute she loves me and just wants to be with me. I mean really who needs to shower, eat, pee, or catch up on things, right??? I mean it is better than the alternative of listening to her scream for the next 30 plus minutes?
Yeah umm ok. That typically works until you catch a whiff your own smell and a glimpse of your tattered self in the mirror, and you realize your back hurts, and everything you were supposed to be handling is piling up on you.

Its then you realize oh my gosh if I don't get a lil ME time I am going to jump out a window. This has been a real struggle for me. But the good news is I have found a few work arounds that have made things a little better.

Like for instance when I am trying to get ready and put my make up on. I will sit on the floor in front of the mirror and let aubi crawl around me. I will usually have to sacrifice a cosmetic or two for her to beat around and entertain herself. I found that the body lotion in a plastic bottle with the lid on tightly, or a big blush brush tends to do the trick. The other thing that has helped a lot is scheduling and planning little things like showers, housework, computer time, and Naps!! If she's down for nap or having a bobba that's your golden opportunity so prioritize and use that time effectively.

And the other thing that has helped is telling yourself sometimes they gotta just cry it out. As long as you can answer yes to these questions...She's safe. She's not hungry. She's got dry pants. She's not sick. She's been attached to your hip all day. She will be fine. She will Cry it out. And and life goes on and tomorrow is a new day.

No comments: